We always talk about the importance of protecting your skin from environmental factors, and I’m always slathering on my SPF but turns out… it’s so much more! I just recently learned that only 25% of your aging process is predetermined by nature – the other 75% is environmental! If you were getting graded, you could literally score 0 on the natural aging factor and still get a passing grade just by killing it in the environmental factors department, like diet, lifestyle, etc. Here are some habits to start (and stop!) for better skin.
- Start with Sleep: We always hear about the importance of sleep for your mental, physical, and emotional health but it doesn’t end there. Your body removes dead blood cells and toxins while you’re asleep, so not getting enough zzz’s can take a toll on your skin. It also decreases your skin’s moisture levels and pH level, so every hour of sleep matters!
- Get picky about your pillowcase. While we’re on the subject, pillowcases are prone to get overlooked but they make a big difference! Make sure to wash your pillowcase a couple of times a week. I also swear by silk pillowcases – great for skin care and hair!
- Be religious about your skincare regimen. It’s honestly like getting ready for the day – I always feel better and more confident when I do it. I love trying new products, but there are some products that you will learn to always repurchase when you finish off the bottle. One that has been around forever and just keeps getting better with time is Estee Lauder’s Advanced Night Repair Serum. It’s their nightly serum that supports your skin’s natural repair and it’s more effective than ever. They just launched their new formula where they added a new Chronolux Power Signal Technology for fast repair + collagen-boosting power, firming, pore minimizing, and overnight radiance. The best results always come over time, but my skin looked radiant overnight. It also locks in moisture for 72 hours. If you’re tired and too lazy for your full night routine, just cleanse, apply this, and a moisturizer to lock it in and you’re ready for bed.
- Clean your makeup brushes regularly. Like pillowcases, your makeup brushes can accumulate oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells which can cause breakouts. Clean them at least once a week to avoid it – your makeup will thank you!
- Bluetooth or bust. When you think about how attached we are to our phones (and how they follow us everywhere), it should come as no surprise that they are covered in bacteria. Keep that screen as far away from your face as possible! Stick to your AirPods/headphones and speakerphone when you can.
- SPF, SPF, SPF. I can’t say this enough but, SPF! In your moisturizer, foundation, or on its own, you can never over-do it with SPF!
- Hands off! One of the biggest habits worth breaking is touching your face. You don’t realize how often you touch your face until you start keeping count. Try to keep a tally throughout your day and you will start to catch yourself doing it and be able to break the habit.
- Watching what you eat. Your diet and nutrition make a huge impact on your skin so start from the inside out! Pay attention to which foods trigger breakouts – you might have food sensitivities you aren’t aware of! For me it’s brownies lol. Literally every time I eat brownies my skin breaks out. Make sure you are trying to incorporate anti-aging foods like blueberries, broccoli, avocado, spinach, and nuts. (also we all know it but don’t forget to drink lots of water too!)
The list for habits for healthy skin could go on forever but these are some of the easiest to start with!